masthead18 home
Contents list
Search
  Reprinted from Newsletter 92, dated 1999 July-August

Red bricks start a second century JN

Another postcard view of Norbins Road, this one dated 1917 from the Oldis collection. The end-of-terrace house (Number 31) on the right of the photo is “Grosvenor House”, constructed by the builder, John Barnett, for himself: it’s the biggest house in the road.

Not much has changed in the century since this last terrace, at upper Norbins Road, was finished in 1899, except that the elegant gas lamp is gone and overhead wires and a million parked cars have come.

Could we mark the centenary by paving the ugly alley (Church Lane, leading to the church and the High Street) with brick and planting 100 trees?

Newsletter articles about Norbins Road and the Newtown area

The 1998 AGM: Expand to 10 miles? Trees in Newtown area? … … 90.1   symbol to click

Norbins Road redbrick centenary JN … … 91.1   symbol to click

Red bricks start a second century: Norbins Road JN … … 92.1   symbol to click


Website first published in 2005. This 2018 revamp uses new CSS and PHP, by Jim Nageltor.png